City College limited is running Higher National Certificate and Diploma in Business program in association with Leicester College. The Higher National Certificate and Diploma in Business qualifications are aimed at students wanting to continue their education through applied learning. Higher Nationals provide a wide-ranging study of the business sector and are designed for students who wish to pursue or advance their career in business. In addition to the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the study of the business sector.
The Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business give students experience of the breadth and depth of the sector that will prepare them for further study or training. The purpose of BTEC Higher Nationals in Business is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan for living cost is available for this course. read more on funding for Higher Education
HNC 1 year full-time. HND 1 year full time. Students will only progress to HND qualification if they pass all units in HNC. Students will have apply for student finance each year. Learners can progress to university for the third year.
To meet the entry criteria for admission to level 4 HNC Courses: A candidate must have either:
- A level 3 qualification
- A level 2 qualifications and relevant work experience
- Or substantial work experience related to the field of proposed study and,
- Demonstrate capability in English equivalent to CEFR level B2 e.g. IELTS 5.5 (including 5.5 for reading and writing), PTE 51 or equivalent.
- Demonstrate a Commitment to Study and a reasonable expectation of success on the Course
- International qualifications at the appropriate level will also be accepted.
Where applicants do not have a formal qualification to demonstrate capability in English, they will be required to undertake the Colleges written English Language test before an offer of a place on a Course is made. Judgement of their capability in spoken English will be assessed by the Senior Administrator at the interview. Suitable alternative arrangements to written tests will be made where a student declares a disability, specific learning difficulty or long-term health condition on their application form, e.g. oral questioning, amanuensis etc.
We welcome applications from students 19+ who do not match the standard entry requirements but who can demonstrate; willingness and commitment to studying this subject at University level, and who can evidence academic, professional or vocational experience in a related field.
HNC and HND Business Qualification Overview
The aims of the HNC in Business are to:
- Provide a broad-based programme of study offering learners vocationally relevant preparation for their career development
- Satisfy the demand from those in the community who wish to undertake higher education, providing varied pathways through the programmes appropriate to students’ skills, experience and confidence
- To provide positive opportunities for widening participation to appropriate levels of higher education
- Raise awareness and develop understanding of the varied dimensions, elements and characteristics of business and their respective environment appropriate to management contexts
- Develop technical and transferable skills for confident, effective application in business
- Enable students to develop appropriate academic skills consistent with study at higher education level
- Provide support for learning appropriate to individual needs
On successful completion of the HND in Business, students will have:
- Developed a range of transferable skills allowing them to understand, manage and react to the changing business environment around them
- Developed a strong understanding of the ever-changing environment in which businesses operate
- Developed and be able to utilise the higher level cognitive skills of analysis, evaluation and synthesis in the business setting
- Developed the appropriate skills, knowledge and confidence to progress to a degree programme (with APL for business degrees)
- Be able to research and present information orally and in writing with confidence and clarity in a professional manner including structured analytical reports
- Developed an awareness of salient business issues outside of their own day-to-day activities in the organisation via the taught units (see unit guidelines)
Structure of the Programme
Academic Year 1
|Unit No||Level 4 Units (Eight Units, 120 Credit Value)||Unit Credit|
|1||Business and the Business Environment||15|
|3||Human Resource Management||15|
|4||Management and Operations||15|
|6||Managing a Successful Business Project (Pearson- set)||15|
|8||Innovation and Commercialisation||15|
Academic Year 2
|Unit No||Level 5 Units (Seven Units, 120 Credit Value)||Unit Credit|
|11||Research Project (Pearson-set)||30|
|33||Business IT Systems||15|
|35||Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations||15|
Level 4 and 5 (HNC and HND) Qualification in Business
If you need more information about the BTEC Higher National qualifications in Business or any other training courses for health and social care professionals, please contact us via telephone or fill out the form below.